ACYCP Child and Youth Care Lifetime Achievement Award
Since the early 1970s, the Lifetime Achievement Award, originated by ACYCP co-founder Mark Kruger, Ph.D., has recognized leaders who have demonstrated excellence among their peers in the development of the Child and Youth Care profession.
In the earliest days, this recognition was awarded to three pioneers in the Child and Youth Care field: Dr. Albert Trieschman, Dr. Henry Maier, and Dr. Karen Vander Ven. More recently, this award has been given to Dr. Andrew Schneider-Munoz, co-founder of ACYCP’s Certification of the CYC profession; Sister Madeline Rybicki who is one of the nation's leading trainers and served as the President of the Academy of Child and Youth Care, and Michael Mitchell, Past President of the Wisconsin Association of Child and Youth Care Practitioners (WACYCP), a regional, national and global force for youth worker professional development.
Description and Criteria
This award is considered to be very distinguished and important to the field and is not awarded on an annual basis. It was designed to call special attention to Child and Youth Care leaders who have been exceptional among their peers and have demonstrated a lifelong commitment to the field of Child and Youth Care.
This award is a salute and standing ovation for individuals who have always been there for the Child and Youth Care profession. It consists of an attractive engraved plaque and a public announcement. You know your colleagues best, so we welcome your input and participation in the awarding and evolution of this award!
This award is currently sustained and overseen by Sister Madeleine Rybicki and Professor Karen Vander Ven.
- Nominators MUST be current ACYCP members, however, nominees DO NOT need to be ACYCP members.
- Nominators may consist of more than one person, but at least one nominator MUST be an ACYCP member.
- Nominees do not have to be currently employed and may be retired, but not deceased.
- Nominators may submit more than one nomination, but on separate nomination forms.
- Nominees may come from any area of the broad child and youth care field.
- Nominees may come from any level of practice (ex. direct care, research, administration, supervision, etc.).
- Nominees may reside or practice in any part of the world.
- Finalist nominations are reviewed and a winner selected by the ACYCP Board of Directors.
- Nomination forms are coordinated by the ACYCP Executive Committee.
- Winners are only eligible for one award.
- Nominees hereby consent to their nomination and any related publicity.
- Nominator(s) hereby consent to any publicity related to their nomination submission(s).
- Award finalists will be notified prior to the selection of a winner.
- Nominations, with supporting documentation, will be evaluated on the following basis:
- What CYC organizations has the nominee been a member of?
- Has the nominee served on any CYC boards?
- What positions has the nominee held during their CYC career?
- Has the nominee been involved in any CYC mentoring activities?
- Has the nominee been involved in research, training or program development and/or promotion?
- Has the nominee been directly involved in CYC training venues?
- Has the nominee contributed towards the advancement of CYC certification?
- Has the nominee advocated for, or otherwise advanced, the welfare of CYC workers?
This is an excellent way to demonstrate recognition and appreciation for a wide range of service, leadership and experience not always readily recognized in day-to-day CYC job performance. The more objective supporting evidence and material you can provide the better. Supporting documentation may be attached to this form (copies ONLY. Do not send originals).
2021 Lifetime Achievement Award
Parri Black, CEO Youth First (Indiana)
Jan Bucher (Milwaukee WI)
2020 Lifetime Achievement Award
John Brandon, Marion County Commission on Youth, Indiana
2019 Lifetime Achievement Award
Presented to: Janet Wakefield (Indiana)
Presented to: Tom Plake (Indiana)
Presented to: Daryl Brooks (Wisconsin)
Presented to: Clara Anderson (Cooper) (Indiana)
2018 Lifetime Achievement Award
Presented to: Dr. Andy Schneider-Munoz (California)
Presented to: Pam Clark (Indiana)
Presented to: JB Boyd (Indiana)
2017 Lifetime Achievement Award: No awards were given out due to honoring the 40th anniversary former Presidents