Martha Mattingly Scholarship
The Martha Mattingly Scholarship was established for the purpose of supporting professional development and leadership of early career Child and Youth Care professionals. Scholarship funds are intended for the recipient to have access to professional engagement and activities including the following:
- Attending meetings of professional associations or other leadership events;
- Attending national and international conferences relevant for child and youth care work professionals, and/or;
- Attending trainings, seminars, and other professional education programs which contribute to professional leadership
Description and Criteria
Martha Mattingly scholarships are available to Child and Youth Care practitioners and professionals both nationally and internationally and may also be used for both national and international events. Scholarships will only be granted to a person or event one time.
Each year, the Martha Mattingly Scholarship Committee determines a designated amount of funding based on the current year’s fiscal budget. Application requests can range from support to attend a professional event or conference to funding an event itself.
Scholarships are granted based on 4 criteria:
- Individual merits of the application;
- Availability of scholarship funds;
- Amount of funds that are allocated for the fiscal year of the event’s occurrence, not the date of the application
- Applicants must commit to writing a brief (500 to 1000 word) summary of their experience and how it contributed to their professional development. The applicant must also consent to the use of this summary in future publications and postings related to the Mattingly Scholarship Fund. The committee may also request consent from the recipient(s) for use of photos in future Mattingly Scholarship promotional materials.
We are not accepting applications for the fund at this time. The next application period will be announced on this website.
To apply for a scholarship
- Verify that funds are designated for the event you are interested in attending or that open funding has been announced.
- Complete and sign the Scholarship Application Form.
- Submit a current resume detailing relevant work history, education, previous awards and achievements, professional association memberships, and involvement in leadership activities within the profession.
Attach a one to two page Narrative (typed .doc or .pdf) responding to the following questions:
- What event do you want to attend?
- How is this event relevant to CYC practice?
- How will attending this event expand your professional development and/or leadership abilities?
- How will you use the experience to maximize its impact on yourself and your professional community?
- The Mattingly Scholarship may not provide adequate support to completely fund your attendance. What other sources of funding will you use so you can attend the event?
- Submit two references who can provide support for your professional competence, interest/expertise, and leadership in the Child and Youth Care profession. Additional letters of recommendation can be included. References can be either:
- current or previous instructor(s) in post-secondary education program, and/or;
- current or previous supervisor(s) or program manager/administrator(s).
The completed and signed Application, Narrative, References and Resume can be sent to the Martha Mattingly Scholarship Fund by:
- Scan and email documents to email@example.com *preferred method
- Mail to: Martha Mattingly Scholarship/ACYCP, PO Box 510423, Milwaukee WI 53203.
For additional information, email firstname.lastname@example.org